Tuesday, October 4, 2016

LETTERS from Preston MTC! Week 1

PIP PIP AND CHEERIO!

*Disclaimer.  This subject line is a phrase I have not heard once in my first week at the MTC, despite being literally surrounded with Brits.  So, I'm going to have to say that that is definitely not at thing... but I still think it's funny. 

I am really loving it here in England, and here at the MTC!!  The MTC has really been such an amazing experience so far.  Getting here too.  It was so weird leaving the Manchester airport.  Rolling my suitcase over cobblestone paths and seeing cars on the left side of the road (that's a real thing, I didn't quite believe it until I saw it for myself.)  

My companions name is Elder Porter, he's from Lehi and he is a big ol' football player.  He's super nice and genuine, and is always telling me I'm the best companion, because I help him get up in the morning and simple stuff like that.  He's a great guy.  I'm in the Ammon District, and I honestly have built such good relationships with everyone!  Elder Watkins especially!  He's a big goofball from Minnesota, and I love being around him!  

The food here is incredible!!  I've already had my first proper fish and chips.  The temple is short walk away and is honestly one of the most beautiful temples I've ever seen.  Hearing all these different accents and meeting people from all over the world has been incredible as well.  I've met Scottish, Irish, Italian, Philippine, New Zealanders, French, German, and all kinds of wonderful people willing and ready to serve the Lord.  It's fun to talk to British people with an accent, and hear them do their best American accent.  I played soccer... with Europeans.  They call it football... The weather is amazing.  It rains a lot, almost every day, but when the sun comes out it feels AMAZING!! It's really great here!

We've had a couple different teachers who have all been great, but there is one in particular who has been just such an amazing teacher.  His name is Brother Nolan, he teaches with such a strong and sweet spirit.  He also knows great ways to help each of us grow and become better missionaries.  Plus he served in the same mission I'm going to, so he's extra great.

This first week has been brilliant!  (President Preston says we should sound cultured, so stop using American slang like "awesome" and "cool")  This week has been absolutely unreal.  England is an amazing country!  I've only been here a very short time, and already learned SO much.  One of those things I've learned is that Fish and Chips is definitely holding up to its reputation, but that's not so important.  

I've learned that missionary work takes sacrifice.  That the power of prayer is amazing and so strong.  I've been blessed with teachers who really know their stuff.  You can feel the spirit when they teach, and I know that they were incredible missionaries themselves.  At the England MTC there are only 58 missionaries.  Nine of them are in my district, the Ammon district.  Definitely the best district.  My companion is Elder Porter, he is from Lehi.  He is a stud.  A football player who has a sincere testimony and is so genuine.  I've grown so close to each person in my district, and I learn and grow from their examples.  One of my teachers especially has been AWESOME!! (sorry President) He told us that we each have the capability to become amazing missionaries through becoming consecrated.  What that means is sacrificing more than what is asked.  Giving up lunch here, P day here, sleep there really seems like a small sacrifice in the grand scheme of things.  

I know without a doubt this Church is true.  I thought that my testimony was pretty much done growing when I left, but it has been strengthened and grown so much.  Conference has been amazing.  Being able to watch it in the MTC is an experience that I am so grateful for.  I love it here.  I love this Gospel.  I am so grateful for Jesus Christ and his Atonement.  I love and miss you all so much, but I know that I'm right where I'm supposed to be.  I wouldn't rather be anywhere else but here serving the Lord.  

The Church is True!
Till next week, 
Elder Draper








This is the Preston, England MTC
Preston, England MTC
Preston, England MTC
Preston, England Temple
Preston, England Temple






No comments:

Post a Comment